Dog, woman treated for smoke inhalation in fire

FLORENCE – A home was heavily damaged this morning in a fire that also resulted in a woman and her dog suffering smoke inhalation, authorities said.
Florence Fire Rescue extinguished the 9:44 a.m. fire at 225 Wilson Dam Road, Fire Chief Jeff Perkins said.
The chief said the elderly woman was treated at the scene, but the dog required additional treatment and was taken to a nearby veterinarian.
Perkins said the woman and her son were home when the fire broke out. Her son noticed the smell of smoke coming from the laundry room and opened the door leading to it and discovered the fire.
A passerby noticed the fire and called 911, the chief said.